Tuesday, April 12, 2011

what i wouldn't give

Years ago, Rory Noland and I wrote a piece of music theater called The Choice, based on the final week of Jesus’ life on earth.  There was a scene depicting the Last Supper--Jesus trying to explain to his protégés what was about to happen in the violent days to come.  It was beyond their comprehension, and He must have felt so alone.  This lyric is from a song played as this action was taking place on stage, as I tried to envision Jesus’ thoughts and emotions in that last moment with his mystified students. 


what I wouldn’t give
to help you understand
the beauty of the plan
designed to set you free

what I wouldn't give
if you only knew
what I’m about to do for you
and what you mean to me     

what I wouldn't give
to know we’ll be together
forever and forever
through all eternity   

I’m longing for the day
when you’ll see who I am
you’ll finally understand
at last you’ll know

there’s nothing I wouldn't give


Jesus, I realize that most of the time You walked on this planet, You were misunderstood.  That must have been so hard on Your spirit.  Two millenia later, I don't want to miss the point.. the nature of who You are, what You came to earth to do and to teach.  I want to focus, to listen, key in... make every effort to get inside Your head...and Your heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers